Modernizing Public Health
"What should every Iowan reasonably expect from local and state public health?"
A partnership between local and state public health is working to advance the quality and performance of public health in Iowa. Through the Modernizing Public Health in Iowa initiative, the partnership is defining basic standards of service delivery to all Iowans.
Modernizing Public Health in Iowa is a continuation of Redesigning Public Health in Iowa. Redesign focused on the development of the Iowa Public Health Standards, and developing a plan to implement those standards. Modernization in Iowa will focus on bringing about the actions described in the implementation plan. Both Redesign and Modernization are partnerships between local and state public health.
If you have questions about Modernizing Public Health in Iowa please contact Joy Harris, the Modernizing Public Health in Iowa Coordinator at 515-281-3377 or visit their website.
The Iowa Public Health Standards describe the basic public health services and infrastructure that all Iowans can reasonably expect from local and state public health. The standards answer the question, "What should every Iowan reasonably expect from local and state public health?" These standards represent the collaborative effort of over 150 local and state public health professionals and public health partners. Their combined public health expertise, scientific knowledge, and practical experience provide the foundation for defining the responsibilities of governmental local and state public health. The Iowa Public Health Standards were finalized in Dec. 2007.
The services provided by Calhoun County Public Health fall under the standards as follows:
1. Prepare for, respond to, and recover from public health emergencies
2.Promote healthy behaviors
- Child Health
- Child Medical Home
- Girl Talk
- Adult Health/Homemaker Services
- Breast and Cervical Cancer Early Detection
- Komen for the Cure
- Family Support Services
- Carings Hands Closet
- Child Abuse Prevention
- Family Foundations (Medicaid, Empowerment Grant)
- Hawk-I Outreach (New Opportunities Grant)
- Healthy Shopping tips from Eat Smart, Move More
- Injury Prevention
- Child Injury Prevention (Love our Kids Grant)
- Child Abuse Prevention
- Child Care Nurse Consultant - Buena Vista, Calhoun, Pocahontas, and Sac County
4. Protect Against Environment Hazards
- Environmental Health
- Water Quality and Monitoring
- Private Waste Water Management
- Animal Control
- Hazardous Waste
- Indoor Air Quality/Healthy Homes
- Emergency Preparedness
- Facts on Raw Milk
7. Direct Service